Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Unexpected Morning

We had big plans for our morning, but they changed drastically during breakfast. The Boy loves to stick his fingers in things, today it was a water bottle lid. No big deal, he does it all the time. However! Today mom wasn't sitting at the table to tell him to get his finger out of it, so it stayed, for who knows how long, until suddenly it wouldn't come off.

I did all that I knew to do with my EMR training and then called the local EMT for advice. He told me to do what I'd already done. He then said he had a ring cutter and he'd bring it down. It took about an hour, a broken ring cutter, a dash to another EMR bag that was at another one of our fire stations for another ring cutter, and some love and understanding. We had the dremel out to cut it through if things got really desperate. 

It was silly when it was red, starting to get concerning when it was purple, and when it started turning white I had to remain calm and get the thing off! It ended up taking 4 cuts with a ring cutter to get it off. There is still a small laceration on his finger, but he seems to have survived without any major damage. 

When asked if he wanted to stick his finger in something else to practice with the ring cutter more he quickly shook his head no. 
 Waiting for the EMT to come and wondering if he would bring the fire truck (he didn't).
 The first cut was very fascinating. 


 This was after 3 cuts. The finger would just swell into the open spaces we were creating.


This was at the end of the process, I believe the last cut before we got the thing off. It was hurting and scaring him. For the most part though he came out with flying colors!

No comments: